Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Birthday Present

I really enjoyed making the brown paper embroidery boxes recently so, when I needed a birthday present for my sister, I decided to do the same thing, but this time using a craft wood box as the base and with a leaf shape:

I also added a hand-painted scarf and some chocolates to the box. Unfortunately, this isn't a great photo but, as the scarf is now in Brisbane, I couldn't try to get a better photo:

Friday, May 19, 2017

Black & White

Earlier this year, I made two black evening bags. The first one, with the shaped flap and button detail, was for myself:

 No automatic alt text available. 

I didn't have a specific reason for making the second one, which is decorated with machine stitching with a variegated thread (black/grey/white), but it soon found a home:

More recently, we attended a White Party, where all the guests were asked to dress in white. So, back to my sewing machine and I made the Japanese knot bag for myself:

And a different bag for my daughter-in-law:

I also made a gift for the White Party host - I wonder if he'll ever work out that the decoration is actually a birthday message:


Sunday, May 7, 2017

Brown Paper, String & Sealing Wax

These interesting looking boxes are decorated with stitching on brown paper, based on an article by Jane Wild in Stitch wit the Embroiderers' Guild (No. 33). First, I crumpled the paper and then ironed it onto fusible interfacing. After doing some simple embroidery with perle thread, I glued the embroidery to the top of the painted papier mache box. I then used patinating wax, guilding cream and highlight waxes to complete them.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Blue & White Table Runner

My DIL asked me to make a runner for her dining table - any style, any technique. Her only request was that it be blue or blue and white. I considered a number of techniques, including hand and machine embroidery, but opted for this patchwork approach:

This photo shows more detail:

Thursday, December 29, 2016

It's been a while

The last few months have been very busy for a variety of reasons, including various sewing and embroidery projects, which I'll try to catch up on in coming weeks.

My granddaughter, Emma, showed me this picture and asked if I could make this outfit for her for Book Week. The character is connected with My Little Pony, which having started life as a toy has now progressed to an animated television show and a comic book. Not really my idea of a book character but she did ask nicely and gave me lots of warning - plus it was a challenge - so what else could I do?

Here's my interpretation. Of course, Emma is normal girl shape and size - I think the girl in the picture above would have to be about 7 feet tall and thinner than Emma.

Monday, August 1, 2016

Jodie's Wedding Dress

What do you do with a wedding dress when you decide that you're not going to wear it again? My niece, Jodie, gave hers to me, saying that I could do whatever I liked with it. I decided to give some of it back to her in a different format. After much trepidation, I eventually pulled it apart and used some of the fabric, lace and beads for a crazy patchwork. I only added the stitching threads.

Monday, July 11, 2016

Denim, denim and more denim

I had some scraps of fabric left over after making denim bags and decided to use them up on a project that I've had in mind for some time. There weren't many scraps so I also pulled out my box of old jeans, which I've been collecting for at least 10 years. I have used some of them in the past for cushions and even a journal cover. But now I was ready to attempt something a bit bigger - a queen-size bed quilt.

Now, I could have cut the fabric into squares but I thought it would look good in 2.5 inch strips (I'm really good at making things difficult for myself). So I cut lots and lots and lots of strips and joined them together into a strip that was about 140 metres (over 150 yards) long. It rolled up into a very large "jelly roll". I then cut it into 50 strips, each a bit over 2 metres long, sewed them together, and quilted it with ditch stitching (it felt like wrestling a boa constrictor).

And here it is all finished: