Saturday, January 26, 2013

This week in my studio

Experimenting with mouldable stamps:

Making poppies and daisies:

Making a cord on my marudai:

Knitting socks, despite the very warm (i.e. hot) weather:

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Using up leftovers

About 18 months ago, I made a quilt for Astrid and, not surprisingly, ended up with lots of leftover fabric. Last year, I played around with the leftovers and made a group of cushions, which I gave to Astrid just before Christmas.

The first two are simple patchwork designs with stitch-in-the-ditch quilting:

With the next two, I explored some of the many built-in stitches on my Husqvarna Diamond:

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Christmas stockings

A few years ago, I made Christmas stockings for my family - panne velvet with fake fur around the top. I wanted to make something a bit more special but, as usual, I had only thought of them a few days before Christmas and didn't have time for anything more elaborate.

But this year, with an uncharacteristic burst of organisation, I realised a few months ago that Olivia didn't have a Christmas stocking. This seemed the perfect opportunity to do something a bit fancier for both granddaughters.

And here are the crazy patchwork Christmas stockings I made:

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A new beginning for a new year

My craft room is 3.9 by 4.8 metres, with a wall of cupboards along one wall - so there is lots of room for mess. Over the years, as the mess has increased, my sewing machines and cutting table migrated to the adjacent family room, which then also became very messy - a sort-of domino mess effect.

However, over the last week, we have made a huge effort and, with the addition of a sewing machine cabinet, the room is now looking unnaturally tidy, with plenty of space for the sewing machines and cutting table, even when opened out. I'm now looking forward to all the wonderful things I can do in there (although granddaughter Emma has currently turned it into an art gallery).