Sunday, March 29, 2015

Eco dyeing

I recently attended an eco-dyeing workshop. We had 5 pots of liquids - brown onion skins, red onion skins, eucalyptus, avocado skins and seeds, and crepe myrtle bark - which we boiled up for about 2 hours. We then added fabric (I used silk noil) and let the brews simmer for a further 45 minutes. However, as you can see from these photos, there was very little difference in what came out, apart from the way I had tied up the fabrics - and the leaves that I wrapped in 2 of the pieces (4th and 6th photos).

It was a relatively easy way of trying eco-dyeing but I don't think I'll be doing it again any time soon.







2 comments:

Maggi said...

You made some very lovely marks and I think that the 4th piece is gorgeous.

yarngoddess said...

Monica,
I am sorry that you might not try this process again. I wonder if anyone in the group came out with prints they were happy with. From the wrapping marks on the fourth fabric that has some leave prints, I would guess that your bundle was not rolled tight enough nor wrapped tightly enough with the string. Also, in the workshop I took, we boiled the bundles for 2 to 3 hours - not 45 minutes. I've tried it a lot on my own and been less than successful but in workshops with good advice, I've had great success.
Diane