Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Poppy journal

Last year, I decided to make a handbag featuring a poppy motif. After doing a sample piece and a couple of attempts at the bag, I abandoned the project. (Along the way, I learned that some tear-away stabilisers can leave lots of small fibres behind.)

However, when I made my journal cover for the ACT Textile Arts group holiday challenge, I decided to revise my earlier idea and made a journal cover for my friend Margaret instead. I like journal covers that fully enclose the journal so that loose things don't fall out but I didn't want the closure to have any impact on the poppy, so I opted for a zipper closure - which was as difficult as I thought it would be. Fortunately, Margaret loved it and didn't notice the bits that were a bit wonky.

2 comments:

sleepydwarf said...

That's so pretty :) I agree with you on the fully closed bit. I like to have a cover that you completely close. I carry lots of stuff around in my journal and it always falls out!

maggi said...

The poppy looks really striking and using the zip is a great idea.